Sunday, March 26, 2017

Yopping 39 - oh baby baby baby



Well here I am, apparently on a baby garment knitting kick. Next time I get invited to a baby shower I am so ready.

I finished the Elizabeth Zimmerman baby surprise sweater:



and while I was on a roll I finally sewed up the seams and put buttons on the surprise sweater I made a year ago.



and then determined to finish up this Cascade 220 in my stash I made these baby diaper pants:




I checked my Year of Projects' master list and saw I needed a purple baby hat so I cast this on yesterday:




and I am now on Row 27 of my fourth quadrant of the tree of life. I have decided to sew it together and then knit the border onto the blanket, rather than the way it is written which is to make the border separately and then sew it on.

I have been looking for pink Kool-aid crystals to dye my white wool so I can make a pussy hat but it seems that you can't buy the unsweetened crystals in Canada anymore. So I broke down and went to Michael's and got me some Pink Paton's Astra to make one:



The colour is deep pink, but didn't photograph well. It really is pink.

Finally, and most importantly I started my first square of the Iona pattern. This is a new technique to me, and was fiddly to start, but I am really enjoying it. I am going back and forth between magic loop, two circular needles, and dpn's and haven't decided which I like best yet.

Here is my progress so far - 1 square done, 34 to go!



I am almost through my list as far as knitting projects go, so I had better get back to the spinning wheel. The weather has improved to fleece washing and drying should go easier on the back porch.

Have a good week everyone. Spring is truly here. Daffodils and everything.



17 comments:

  1. Nice productivity you have here. It'll be so fun for you to see the baby(ies) in your knits. I hope the parents take photos for you. I understand how hard it can be sometimes to capture the right color. A white background can help. I take my photos for the blog on a science fair project board display board with the sides up and in the back, a piece of foam poster board. It's my cheap way of having a photo studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the advice. I knew that white background helps, but didn't remember it for that photo. Live and learn!

      Delete
  2. Adorable little baby items.

    As for dying, you may want to consider trying it with Wilton food colouring gels which are available at Bulk Barn and Michael's. If you Google you'll find plenty of how-to's.

    Iona looks very interesting... I'm going to go have a look now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely projects, every one. Your baby knitting is adorable. The sweaters are beautiful and all these things will be loved by their recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my... you have been busy. Everything looks gorgeous... here I am just starting out on sleeve one on regular needles and going nuts trying to remember a simple sequence of seven for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were easy peasy baby knits. No lace, and very little sewing up.

      Delete
  5. I too love knitting for babies - they're so quick and cute! I love those jackets, beautiful knitting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are very quick knits. Just a couple of days each. Good tv knitting and good stash busters.

      Delete
  6. I am in love with the baby sweaters. I admire those all the time and have yet to get the pattern and make one. Maybe this year will be that year. You have been so busy with all your crafts and have made great progress. Looking forward to seeing what you have for next weeks YOP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the sweaters are a fun knit. It is an odd shape once you are done - all knit in one piece, and then voila, you fold it just right and it is a baby jacket with only the shoulder seams to sew up.

      Delete
  7. Oh I love those little baby cardigans, they are so sweet. My eyes are boggling with all the projects you have on the go at once! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I only have two projects on the go at the moment. both blankets, so I will have to cast on something today....there is this cute teddy bear pattern I want to try.

      Delete
  8. The baby knits are great and that square looks very complicated to me but I'm sure with your skills it isn't difficult at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The square is fiddly at the beginning but after row five or so it goes quite quickly. It isn't hard - my mantra is always "just follow the pattern".

      Delete
  9. The baby surprise jacket is adorable and modern too! Love it. The Iona looks interesting too. It is good to have one project that challenges us or teaches us new things and the Iona looks like it is one of those.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading the comments. It makes me feel like I am not just posting into the void.